Published on: 9 June 2023
Junior doctors who are members of the British Medical Association (BMA) and Hospital Consultants and Specialists Association (HCSA) have voted to take industrial action at NHS Trusts across England, including Trusts serving Derby and Derbyshire.
The next round of industrial action will take place for 72 hours from 7am on Wednesday 14 June to 7am on Saturday 17 June 2023.
Our key messages to people in Derby and Derbyshire are:
- Please use health services wisely during industrial action and take simple steps to help ensure care is available to those who need it most. Please use 111 online as the first port of call for health needs and only using 999 if it is a life-threatening emergency.
- It is really important that anyone who needs urgent medical care continues to come forward as normal, especially in emergency and life-threatening cases – for example, when someone is seriously ill or injured, or their life is at risk. A&E, ambulance and 999 services in Derby and Derbyshire will remain available from 14 to 17 June.
- Similarly, people in mental health crisis should continue to seek support as normal. Mental health crisis services will be running from 14 to 17 June, as will the Derbyshire Mental Health Helpline and Support Service (0800 028 0077).
- The NHS will contact you if an appointment needs to be rescheduled due to industrial action. If your appointment needs to be rearranged, NHS staff may try to call you from a withheld number. We understand that it may be frustrating if your appointment needs to be rescheduled, but please show courtesy to the staff who are calling you. If you have not been contacted, please attend your appointment as planned.
- GP services are impacted by this strike action but please continue to attend your GP appointments, unless you are contacted and told otherwise.
For the most up-to-date information, please use the following websites and social media accounts:
Derbyshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
Comprehensive information from NHS England on the planned industrial action.
Chesterfield Royal Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Derbyshire Community Health Services NHS Foundation Trust
University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust