Mental Health Services for Older People
Proposed service moves from Pleasley Ward at the Hartington Unit in Chesterfield to Walton Hospital, Chesterfield and Ward 1, London Road Community Hospital Derby to Tissington House at Kingsway Hospital, Derby
Date of consultation: 1 December 2021 – 1 February 2022
This consultation is asking local people to share their views on proposals to relocate two services for older people with mental health conditions to new facilities in the county.
Inpatient services for older people with functional mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety and psychosis are currently provided by Derbyshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust (DHcFT) in functional mental health facilities across Derbyshire.
In North Derbyshire these services are offered on Pleasley Ward at the Hartington Unit, which is located on the Chesterfield Royal Hospital site. The service is currently provided from shared facilities with adults of working age, whilst national guidance indicates that services for adults and older adults should be provided from separate facilities. Due to national investment in mental health services, the Hartington inpatient wards will be replaced by a new, purpose-built facility for working age adults on the Chesterfield Royal Hospital site. In line with current practice, this move provides an opportunity for separation of services for older adults and adults of working age – the Hartington Unit currently supports all adult patients on Pleasley Ward.
This consultation outlines proposals to relocate the older adult functional mental health services to Walton Hospital, also in Chesterfield, provided from a modern, high quality ward with single en-suite rooms, in line with national guidance. Walton Hospital currently offers inpatient services for people with dementia, and there are a number of benefits of co-locating services for older adults and for bringing specialist colleagues together on one site. The dementia services at Walton Hospital are provided by Derbyshire Community Health Services NHS Foundation Trust (DCHS).
In Southern Derbyshire, inpatient services for older people with functional mental health conditions were historically delivered from London Road Community Hospital in Derby. In June 2021 these services were temporarily located to Tissington House at Kingsway Hospital in Derby.
Kingsway Hospital delivers a wide range of inpatient mental health services and this temporary move brought the older people’s functional mental health services onto the same site as facilities that support people with dementia in Southern Derbyshire. This consultation seeks views on making this a permanent move.
Given this service is specific to a small number of current service users, their families, carers, partners and stakeholders and that the services will continue to be provided in the future just from a different location, it is proposed that this targeted consultation can be undertaken over a 60-day period.
Ways to share your views
- Please complete the questionnaire included at the end of this consultation document and return to Freepost NHS DDCCG before 1 February 2022. You need only write what is written below on an envelope.
- Alternatively, you can complete an online version of the questionnaire, which is available at https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/OlderPeopleMentalHealthConsultation2021
- We will also hold two public consultation events via Microsoft Teams on the following dates. Please book your place by contacting email@example.com if you wish to receive electronic links to access these meetings.
- Thursday 13 January 2022 1pm – 2.30pm
- Tuesday 25 January 2022 10am – 11.30am.
4. We will also be contacting local stakeholders, carers and those accessing services to ask for their views on these proposals.
If you have any questions or would like to provide feedback in another way any please contact firstname.lastname@example.org