Published on: 10 May 2021
Today (10 May) marks the launch of Mental Health Awareness Week, an opportunity for everyone to focus on achieving good mental health.
This year, the theme for the week is ‘Nature’. Across the country, people will be celebrating the mental health benefits of being around nature in their local community in a range of creative ways.
For those who want to boost their mental wellbeing, there will be lots of local events taking place to mark the week – see the list below for details.
There are also several good sources of information and support, both locally and nationally. These include:
- The Derby and Derbyshire emotional health and wellbeing website
- Every Mind Matters - the NHS website with advice on looking after your mental health
- The updated mental health pages on the NHS website at nhs.uk/mentalhealth and, for young people, at nhs.uk/cypmentalhealth.
If you or someone you know is struggling to cope, the Derbyshire Mental Health Helpline and Support Service – 0800 028 0077 – is here for you.
This is a 24/7 service open to Derbyshire residents of all ages, run by the NHS and charities P3 and Derbyshire Federation for Mental Health. If you are experiencing distress or anxiety, you can call 0800 028 0077 any day of the week, 24 hours a day, for support over the phone. In addition, if it’s felt you would benefit from face-to-face support, you will be invited to a ‘safe haven’ run by Richmond Fellowship where you can continue to discuss your problems in a calm, welcoming environment with people who understand what you’re going through.
To learn more about the helpline visit www.derbyshirehelpline.com. The helpline works closely with the NHS 111 service so, if you can’t remember the 0800 number, you can call 111 instead.
For information on getting help in a crisis, view our help in a mental health crisis page.
Derbyshire Mind are organising a week of free virtual activities focusing on nature and mental wellbeing. Topics include 'mindful crafts', 'mindfulness in nature', 'connecting with nature in spring' and 'good mood with food'. For details on all the activities and how to book a place please visit Derbyshire Mind’s website.
Derby City Life Links
The Derby City Life Links team will be running a series of events, including a mental health awareness workshop (being held on several days), and a virtual walk. Learn more and get details of how to book your place on the Derby City Life Links website.
Workers Educational Association
You can enrol online using the course references and PIN numbers listed below at www.wea.org.uk or by calling 0300 303 3464:
- Monday 10 May, 4.45pm – 6.45pm: Art and Nature (with Karen Davies) Course ref: C2345293 PIN 70917
- Tuesday 11 May, 11.45am – 1.45pm: Meditation and Mindfulness: Nature is the Present (with Caroline Meadows) Course Ref: C2345294 PIN 10204
- Thursday 13 May, 7.15pm – 9.15pm: Up and at ‘Em: Getting Motivated and Inspired (with Shaun Kennedy) Course Ref: C2345295 PIN 85598
- Friday 14 May, 11.45am – 1.45pm: Feel Write: Creative Positivity (with Shaun Kennedy) Course Ref: C2345296 PIN 14949.
- Thursday 13 May 1pm – 1.30pm: ‘giving back’ seminar: hear first hand from Mentell facilitators and members who have transformed pain/suffering into long term fulfilment though the process of giving back. Open to men and women. The webinar will be run over Zoom and all people interested in attending will need to sign up using the link on the Mentell website.
A Compassionate Voice Foundation
During Mental Health Awareness Week, 'A Compassionate Voice Foundation’ have two 'compassionate voices speak out' events, which are open to all women:
- Monday 10 May, 6.30pm – 8.00pm
- Thursday 13 May, 11.00am – 12.30pm.
Both Zoom sessions will introduce the Compassionate Voices Community, the highly acclaimed Power of YOU Workshop and how either one can help. The attendees also get the chance to meet the team and hear some of the members stories. We have a diverse community of ladies, who are all helping and supporting each other through these difficult times. An opportunity to chat in smaller groups will also be given during each session. To book your place, visit the A Compassionate Voice Foundation website.
Derbyshire Adult Community Education - DACES
- Monday 10 May, 2pm - 3pm: Marjolein Roerhorst - Mindfulness in other settings. A relaxing session to relieve stress and calm anxious thoughts as you get back out there. To pre-book and register for the Zoom link please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tuesday 11 May, 10am - 11am: David Taylor - Breathing Space. A visual and practical presentation about overcoming barriers to open spaces and being outdoors. To pre-book and register for the Zoom link please email email@example.com
- Tuesday 11 May, 2pm - 3pm: Rosie McLennan - Mindful Drawing. A gentle introduction to this relaxing technique suitable for anyone with a pen or pencil and scrap of paper (no drawing skills required). To pre-book and register for the Zoom link please email Rosemary.Maclennan@derbyshire.gov.uk
- Thursday 13 May, 2pm - 3pm: Marcia McKerrow - Creative Visualisation: Bringing the Outside Inside. Helpful ways to think about the outside world we are missing. To pre-book and register for the Zoom link please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Chesterfield Borough Council
Chesterfield Borough Council are encouraging people to boost their physical and mental wellbeing by accessing Chesterfield’s Great Outdoors. Look on the council’s social media pages and the council's website for the Year of Outdoors. ‘Mindful May’ will have virtual activities and, Covid guidelines permitting, some outdoor events to help you appreciate the natural world around us.
There are also events listed on the Derby and Derbyshire emotional health and wellbeing website.